How To Manage Your Overall Health When You Feel Stressed?
Everyday stress can be difficult to manage, and most of us manage it well. However, when you face chronic stress due to some incident in your life, it is normal to lose grip on your physical and mental health. In this article, we will talk about a few ways how to manage your health when facing a stressful situation.
There are certain situations and events in life that may lead to you having stress that is quite unmanageable. In such conditions, we often neglect your health, both physical and mental. It can have many implications for our overall health.
When faced with an extreme condition where one is unable to deal with the stress, people often go overboard with many things as follows:
- One may work or overwork themselves, even when they need to rest and go easy on themselves.
- One may indulge in unhealthy eating habits. It can be harmful in the long run.
People often indulge in sugary and fatty food. It may release ‘feel good hormones’ and make you feel good, but it may have adverse effects.
When stressed, maintaining and following your habits and routines can be difficult.
Following are a few things that you could do to manage your physical and mental health when stressed.
Maintaining a healthy diet:
- As per Bhakti Arora Kapoor, when you face a stressful situation, your nervous system tends to release adrenaline and cortisol. Cortisol can lead you to have food cravings for sugary and fatty food.
- Giving on to this craving can tempting, but opting for nutrient-rich food is a better option.
- You can opt for low-carb food options such as fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, beans, nuts and more could help you a lot.
- Instead of caffeine intake, opt for other options like juice or tea.
- Make sure that you are meeting your daily protein requirements. Eat a little if you do not want to eat more. Remember, a little is better than nothing at all.
Take it easy on yourself:
- Often we tend to overwork or force ourselves to work when stressed.
- Instead of doing the task with utmost perfection, you could be satisfied with a good performance. Stressing for work when you are stressed enough may not be good. Slow down on your work, and keep moving.
- When needed, take a few deep breaths and calm yourself down.
To summarise, when we face chronic stress it is very difficult to maintain healthy habits. It often happens that we indulge in ignorant behavior toward ourselves and our needs. We tend to neglect to be gentle and easy on ourselves and indulge in unhealthy eating habits. Now this may seem optimum for the short term, but it can have harmful effects on your body in the long run. One should take deep breaths, take the work slowly and try not to reach perfection. Maintaining a good diet is the key. Eat nutrient-rich food to meet your physical and mental needs.